Dr. Muhammad S. Tahir
Psychiatry, Neuropsychology, General Psychology / Practitioner, Counseling
Languages: English, Urdu
Experience: 20 years
I strongly believe that, when we have a balance of healthy self-perception and behavior, wellness, success, and satisfaction often follow.
Our patient-centered approach at the American Wellness Center promotes this balance and provides support to patients throughout, helping them achieve those positive outcomes.
Our clinic model boasts a team of practitioners qualified in American-style healthcare, and I am proud to lead them. We are bringing Dubai's ethical and evidence-based medical care in hopes of promoting positive mental and whole-body health.
My qualifications, achieved through New York’s renown Columbia University, combined with my personal and practical experiences living a multicultural life, enable me to help all those in need. I enjoy working with people from all cultures and walks of life, and giving them my best in assessing their mental health, diagnosing conditions, and providing treatment.
My Experience and Background
I am American Board Certified in Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) and qualified as a General (Adult) Psychiatrist. Before relocating to Dubai, in 2011, I served as an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at New York Presbyterian Hospital, the University Hospital of Columbia, and Cornell University (USA). I also worked as an Assistant Unit Chief, leading the multidisciplinary treatment team at USA’s New York Presbyterian Hospital – Westchester Division. I completed my adult psychiatry residency training at Creedmoor Psychiatric Center (affiliated with Columbia University) and my child/adolescent psychiatry fellowship at Weill Cornell University Hospital in New York (USA).
In addition to my practical background, I have published numerous papers in American journals and participated on the peer review publication committee at Cornell–Westchester Division (New York). I have delivered lectures on a wide range of mental health topics, including depression and suicide, anxiety, schizophrenia, autism, ADHD, and psychosomatic disorders. I am trained in using evidence-based mental health treatment modalities, ranging from, but not limited to, psychotropic medications, individual psychotherapy, cognitive behavior therapy, family therapy, couples therapy, and play-group modalities for young children.
I greatly enjoy speaking in community informational lectures, providing on-site school consultations, and establishing guidance programs. I am proud to be cited often in print media and TV/Radio interviews.
I am licensed in the UAE (Dubai Healthcare City and Dubai Health Authority) and the USA.
I am fluent in English, Urdu, Punjabi, and Hindi.
- Psychotropic Medications
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Couples Therapy
- School Consultations
- Community Lectures
- Parent Guidance Groups
- Acute and Chronic Mental Illnesses
- Bipolar disorder
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders (including PDD)
- School refusal
- Defiant child
- Hyperactive child
- Child being bullied in the school
- Anxious and depressed child
- Teen stress and parents role
- Autism and interaction with other children at home & school
- Eating Disorder
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Conduct Disorder
- Psychotic Disorders
- Impulse Control disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Panic Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Conversion Disorders
- Tic Disorder
- Physical Symptoms of Mental Illness
- Substance Abuse
- Failing grades in school
- behavior problem in children and adolescents
- Depressed and anxious teen
- Evaluation for children having Asperger
- Counseling parents of a teenager
- Child's busy schedule
- Board Certified, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Adult in 2004 and certified in 2015.
- Doctor of Medicine, The University of the State of New York, USA, August 2004
- Bachelor of Science, The University of Punjab, Pakistan, 1992
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Allama Iqbal Medical College, Pakistan, 1988
Doctor of Medicine
- Licensed by University of Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan in 1988
- Licensed as Doctor of Medicine and Surgery, New York in 2004
- UAE - DHCA: Licensed as Specialist Psychiatrist by Dubai Healthcare City since 2011
- UAE – DHA: Licensed as Consultant Psychiatrist by Dubai Health Authority in 2012
Book an Appointment with Dr. Muhammad S. Tahir
For more information, please contact: , +971 50 2770888